Quantum Quasar
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Quantum Quasar

A forum for students, or just those hoping to learn new things!

You are not connected. Please login or register

Best decent FM radio aerial?

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Best decent FM radio aerial? Empty Best decent FM radio aerial? Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:46 pm

spotify95

spotify95
Admin

Hi,

I'm currently investigating different FM radio aerials at the moment and want to find out what would be the best aerial to buy for my Hi-Fi unit. My Hi-Fi, a Sony MHC-GT444, has a very good FM tuner (better than my old Bush Hi-Fi) and has external aerial connections but I'm not really having that much luck with indoor aerials.
I'm in a strong signal area for the locals but only medium to weak for more distant signals, such as Capital FM, Gem 106, and a few others that I actually want to listen to. As such, I can pick up Capital, Gem, Smooth, NNBC (a Northampton local station) and Corby Radio but all of those are mono only, some with a bit of hiss.
With the supplied single wire aerial, Capital used to be hissy stereo, with the stereo disappearing after a while to mono with a small amount of hiss. Gem 106 and most of the other weaker stations were useless (I always optimize my radios to get the best Capital, as that's what I mostly listen to - though I would like to try and get as best choice as I can).
Then hooked up a co-ax lead to my telescopic indoor dipole aerial (it's one of these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272720453078) and I can now get a more varied selection of stations. Capital, Gem, and the more distant stations are mono though, mostly with no hiss though. (I used this aerial with my old Bush hi-fi, using a crocodile clip to attach the inbuilt wire aerial to it, and got a hissy stereo or clearer mono signal, alighing the aerial for the best Capital - this alignment seems to be the best for the Sony as well).

So it seems though I've exhausted all indoor options. Since I've got a decent hi-fi that has the capabilities of going external, what would you recommend to me as a good external aerial for picking up stations? I want to maximize my chances of getting good Capital FM reception, but also want to try and pick up other stations as well. I'm hoping that Kiss FM on either 106.4 or 107.7 may be possible on an external aerial, but I don't know... (it's hit and miss on my Eton E5 radio, which blows away anything else I've owned for sensitivity etc)

Thanks!

2Best decent FM radio aerial? Empty Re: Best decent FM radio aerial? Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:24 am

Kyx

Kyx
Admin

spotify95 wrote:Hi,

I'm currently investigating different FM radio aerials at the moment and want to find out what would be the best aerial to buy for my Hi-Fi unit. My Hi-Fi, a Sony MHC-GT444, has a very good FM tuner (better than my old Bush Hi-Fi) and has external aerial connections but I'm not really having that much luck with indoor aerials.
I'm in a strong signal area for the locals but only medium to weak for more distant signals, such as Capital FM, Gem 106, and a few others that I actually want to listen to. As such, I can pick up Capital, Gem, Smooth, NNBC (a Northampton local station) and Corby Radio but all of those are mono only, some with a bit of hiss.
With the supplied single wire aerial, Capital used to be hissy stereo, with the stereo disappearing after a while to mono with a small amount of hiss. Gem 106 and most of the other weaker stations were useless (I always optimize my radios to get the best Capital, as that's what I mostly listen to - though I would like to try and get as best choice as I can).
Then hooked up a co-ax lead to my telescopic indoor dipole aerial (it's one of these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272720453078) and I can now get a more varied selection of stations. Capital, Gem, and the more distant stations are mono though, mostly with no hiss though. (I used this aerial with my old Bush hi-fi, using a crocodile clip to attach the inbuilt wire aerial to it, and got a hissy stereo or clearer mono signal, alighing the aerial for the best Capital - this alignment seems to be the best for the Sony as well).

So it seems though I've exhausted all indoor options. Since I've got a decent hi-fi that has the capabilities of going external, what would you recommend to me as a good external aerial for picking up stations? I want to maximize my chances of getting good Capital FM reception, but also want to try and pick up other stations as well. I'm hoping that Kiss FM on either 106.4 or 107.7 may be possible on an external aerial, but I don't know... (it's hit and miss on my Eton E5 radio, which blows away anything else I've owned for sensitivity etc)

Thanks!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/fm-radio-aerial ????

https://quantusinc.forumotion.com

3Best decent FM radio aerial? Empty Re: Best decent FM radio aerial? Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:28 am

spotify95

spotify95
Admin

Kyx wrote:

Thanks!

Thanks for the suggestions Smile It looks as though most of those are either wire aerials or telescopics though.

A wire aerial would perform worse than my current telescopic setup and the telescopics wouldn't improve reception from what it currently is?

4Best decent FM radio aerial? Empty Re: Best decent FM radio aerial? Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:07 pm

Kyx

Kyx
Admin

spotify95 wrote:
Kyx wrote:

Thanks!

Thanks for the suggestions Smile It looks as though most of those are either wire aerials or telescopics though.

A wire aerial would perform worse than my current telescopic setup and the telescopics wouldn't improve reception from what it currently is?

NP.

I'm no expert Sad

5Best decent FM radio aerial? Empty Re: Best decent FM radio aerial? Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:34 pm

spotify95

spotify95
Admin

Kyx wrote:
spotify95 wrote:
Kyx wrote:

Thanks!

NP.

I'm no expert Sad

No worries Smile

I'm looking for something like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ANTIFERENCE-FM-3-ELEMENT-AERIAL-/232377725890?hash=item361acab3c2:g:mbYAAOSwdGFYq0Gs (this is collect only, need one that will post) which will work relatively well. Obviously the more elements, the better directivity. If you could keep a lookout and see what you can find me, that'd be great Smile

Any other suggestions would also be great Smile

7Best decent FM radio aerial? Empty Re: Best decent FM radio aerial? Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:43 pm

spotify95

spotify95
Admin

Thanks Smile

That's actually a TV aerial, not an FM aerial. Most aerials like that are TV aerials, you can tell because the aerial elements are quite short. TV frequencies are higher then FM (or DAB) frequencies, hence the wavelength is shorter and thus the aerial elements are also shorter.

8Best decent FM radio aerial? Empty Re: Best decent FM radio aerial? Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:46 pm

spotify95

spotify95
Admin

Well, I've just seen this on eBay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182653627958

It's an indoor TV/FM aerial - which I would use exclusively for FM (as I already have a TV aerial).

It has a horizontal frisbee looking aerial, as well as a vertical telescope. Also has a 26dB amplifier.

Something tells me that this will probably perform worse than my current setup, and boosting a poor signal will never make it into a good signal!

I've also seen this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172761668188 and this may be worth investigating if mounted outside? It'll be omni directional and should pick up most stations ok...

9Best decent FM radio aerial? Empty Re: Best decent FM radio aerial? Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:53 pm

spotify95

spotify95
Admin

Updating this (7/21/07) since I have tried something else in regards to this.

I noticed that I had a One For All "SV-9512B00/002" Signal Booster lying around and not being used. I believe it was previously used in an area with very weak TV reception. Well, I tried this as an experiment to see what improvements it would give me on FM Radio.

Result?

The signal was worse on all stations across the board than before the booster was inserted in line...

Since my TV signal is fine, I've retired the booster back into its box, and may either be kept, or sold on. But that still leaves me with an iffy Capital signal that is clear mono, but not strong enough to register as stereo...

Suggestions please!

10Best decent FM radio aerial? Empty Re: Best decent FM radio aerial? Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:15 pm

Kyx

Kyx
Admin

spotify95 wrote:Updating this (7/21/07) since I have tried something else in regards to this.

I noticed that I had a One For All "SV-9512B00/002" Signal Booster lying around and not being used. I believe it was previously used in an area with very weak TV reception. Well, I tried this as an experiment to see what improvements it would give me on FM Radio.

Result?

The signal was worse on all stations across the board than before the booster was inserted in line...

Since my TV signal is fine, I've retired the booster back into its box, and may either be kept, or sold on. But that still leaves me with an iffy Capital signal that is clear mono, but not strong enough to register as stereo...

Suggestions please!

Another attempt at a suggestion :rofl:: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/D6-Radio-TV-Replacement-60cm-6-Sections-Telescopic-Antenna-Aerial/222294048895?_trksid=p2045573.c100506.m3226&_trkparms=aid%3D555019%26algo%3DPL.BANDIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D44943%26meid%3D8865a764907e44c18aba0dc2de7cd1ea%26pid%3D100506%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26

11Best decent FM radio aerial? Empty Re: Best decent FM radio aerial? Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:41 pm

spotify95

spotify95
Admin

Kyx wrote:
spotify95 wrote:Updating this (7/21/07) since I have tried something else in regards to this.

Result?

Suggestions please!

Another attempt at a suggestion :rofl:: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/D6-Radio-TV-Replacement-60cm-6-Sections-Telescopic-Antenna-Aerial/222294048895?_trksid=p2045573.c100506.m3226&_trkparms=aid%3D555019%26algo%3DPL.BANDIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D44943%26meid%3D8865a764907e44c18aba0dc2de7cd1ea%26pid%3D100506%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26

Thanks for the suggestion; however, I have a funny feeling that this will work worse than what I currently have...

This is a single telescopic aerial with a maximum length of 60cm.
My current aerial is this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272762687866 which is a twin telescopic aerial, with a length of up to 1m each. Therefore, my current aerial is likely to be better than the telescope you suggested...

The telescope you suggested would be good for any radio that has suffered damage to its telescope aerial and needs a replacement; however isn't great for improving reception from a current setup of a twin telescopic...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]