Quantum Quasar
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Quantum Quasar

A forum for students, or just those hoping to learn new things!

You are not connected. Please login or register

Two mathematics puzzles for you.

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Two mathematics puzzles for you. Empty Two mathematics puzzles for you. Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:01 pm

virtuousabyss29

I will be checking these puzzles to make sure I got them correctly.

One:  How many white and black queens can you fit on a chess board without them attacking each other.  I think the answer is 9 and 10.  Can you find the solution with that number?

Two:  You have 13 coins if I remember correctly, and one is counterfeit and weighs less than or more than the others.  The other 12 weigh the same.  You get to make three weightings on a scale; can you identify the coin no matter what?

2Two mathematics puzzles for you. Empty Re: Two mathematics puzzles for you. Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:16 pm

virtuousabyss29

I can do 9 white queens and 8 queens.

If we know whether the coin is lighter or heavier, I can do 15 coins.

3Two mathematics puzzles for you. Empty Re: Two mathematics puzzles for you. Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:46 pm

Kyx

Kyx
Admin

For the queens, a white queen can attack a white queen, and a black queen can attack a black queen, but they can't attack the opposite colour? If no queen can attack any other queen, the answer is 8 :p

https://quantusinc.forumotion.com

4Two mathematics puzzles for you. Empty Re: Two mathematics puzzles for you. Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:58 pm

virtuousabyss29

You can do 9 white queens and 8 black queens if the white queens are allowed to attack each other, the black queens are allowed to attack each other, and the white queens can't attack the black queens.

5Two mathematics puzzles for you. Empty Re: Two mathematics puzzles for you. Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:02 pm

virtuousabyss29

I also did eight queens so that none of them attack each other.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum