Quantum Quasar

A forum for students, or just those hoping to learn new things!

You are not connected. Please login or register

What's so bad about religion?

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 What's so bad about religion? on Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:52 pm

Alright, I am not trying to be a troll but I don't see what's so bad about (non-left-handed) religion.  Science is supposed to be neutral on God. No I don't believe in God but I think those religions are good.  I will stay here on this thread until people convince me that religions are bad.

View user profile

2 Re: What's so bad about religion? on Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:59 pm

Kyx

Admin
virtuousabyss29 wrote:Alright, I am not trying to be a troll but I don't see what's so bad about (non-left-handed) religion.  Science is supposed to be neutral on God.  No I don't believe in God but I think those religions are good.  I will stay here on this thread until people convince me that religions are bad.

There are two main reasons why I think religions are bad:

• They present themselves as fact - People are taught that what is taught by their religion is fact, and any attempt to question it are met with 'because it says so here' and 'It just is'. When presented with evidence otherwise, they do not change their claims (except Buddhism, but I think that is a good type of religion. This encourages people to believe stuff without evidence.

• They split people apart - They tell their followers that anyone who doesn't follow the religion is lesser than them, and should be treated differently. Two people from different religions could love each other, but they can't because the families of the two people believe that the other family is lesser than them. It can also happen when sons and daughters of a family convert to another religion, or become atheist.

View user profile http://quantumquasar.forumotion.com

3 Re: What's so bad about religion? on Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:05 pm

Indeed those are bad things, but if the religion is to be helpful to society that religion has to stay together over a long period of time. A religion that cannot last can do no good. Without those problems it is hard to make a religion that lasts.

Of course, some religions don't have those problems.

When a religion presents itself as fact, an old religion will die out if people become aware of its problems and a new religion will prosper as it is closer to reality.

When a religion splits people apart the same thing happens. People who are more tolerant will go to newer religions that are more inclusive.

In other words, if people are allowed to shop religions sometimes, the better religions will attract more followers.

And yes, when people are compelled in a religion that is a bad thing.

View user profile

4 Re: What's so bad about religion? on Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:44 pm

I believe in Raelism. It is atheist. It tries to unite all religions. It is closest to Buddhism. It is scientific and meant to be researched scientifically. They try to avoid compelling anyone to be in it (they even discourage marriage for this reason).

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum